Tuesday, July 19, 2011

I love difficulty select

Dammit game - no need to rub it in
I love the seemingly mandatory difficulty select on all action games now. Because I suck at games. Especially if there's shooting involved. Like Shadows of the Damned - apparently it's really easy but I'm terrible at it anyway. Half of it's just laziness and impatience. Dodging means having to line up the shot again and it's just not always worth it. It also annoys me to hide behind cover, take one shot, and then hide some more. So I end up getting shot a bunch in order to speed things along. Not like it matters with most games also going to auto-regenerating health. Hiding behind a wall is now just as effective at healing bullet wounds as your neighborhood inn.

It's not like it doesn't make sense that most games include difficulty select now. Games didn't used to all be story based, so it wasn't so bad if you could never make it to the end. No one was losing sleep over Princess Toadstool's fate. But it'd be pretty annoying to only be able to get halfway through something like Mass Effect 2. Which I'm also terrible at because I get bored hiding behind walls.
If the Mass Effect movie does not star a red-headed Shepard in
purple body armor, I'm not seeing it 
 Here's some filler cuz I don't like having the next picture right up under this one. GET IN THE CAR!

Ten pages of this shit
Ahem. Anyway, then there are games that I just don't like the gameplay enough to learn how to play correctly. Like Dragon Age and its sequel. I think in the first one especially you were supposed to keep pausing the game to give instructions to each of your party members, because even with the gambit system stolen from FFXII your buddies are still pretty dumb. But clearly that's way too slow. And there were just way too many skills. Every level up - allocate attribute points, possibly choose a specialty, then choose skills, then choose talents. Cuz they're different or something. I don't want to worry about figuring out a perfect character build so I don't get screwed 30 hours into the game, and on easy I don't have to.




3 comments:

  1. GET IN THE CAR reference = epic win. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just got it. It's a line GET IN THE CAR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's from a game of Left 4 Dead 2 we were playing once where someone refused to come over to the escape car until I yelled "GET IN THE CAR!" =)

    ReplyDelete